Monday, January 8, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Past Weeks on the Blogs:



Last Week in Books:

I picked up Salam Alaikum at the bookstore this week. I was reminded of it by #MuslimShelfSpace and saw it at Barnes and Noble so grabbed it. The song and video it is based off of is quite catchy.

If you want to know more about #MuslimShelfSpace, check out this video:


There is also a giveaway on Twitter hosted by @sadijahwrites:


Our school library has these books as part of our #MuslimShelfSpace:



I read one YA, Not Your Villain. It was a fun sequel to Not Your Sidekick. I look forward to the next one in the series. I read a middle grade historical novel called Ahimsa. It takes place during the life of Gandhi and follows a young girl and her family who are active in the freedom movement. It was an excellent way to learn more about that time period. I also appreciated one specific quote:


Gandhi is doing a lot of good and is fighting injustice, but is also disrespecting those he is trying to help. Anjali and her mother are also guilty of causing offense and sometimes even harm to those they are attempting to help. It is so true that we can care deeply about someone and still do the wrong thing. Intentions are not the only thing of importance. The consequences matter too.

I finally finished The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World. It was a long and slow book. I mostly learned to think of all people as other humans to respect even if they are being annoying. ;) There's a lot to learn there. It made me want to stick with the Celebration posts too. We are generally more joyful if we are also thankful. 

Books I read with classes last week: 



 
The Coming Week: I'm not super focused on any specific books this week, but I think I may read The Victoria in My Head next. I wish you a wonderful week full of great books.

Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 3/800 
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 3/30

4 comments:

  1. The Book of Joy was my first read last year - and it sustained me. I am glad it found you too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy seeing what you read with your groups. Thanks for such a comprehensive post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I mostly learned to think of all people as other humans to respect even if they are being annoying. ;)" -- I've had to learn that lesson, too. Not my favorite, I have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this, Crystal: " Intentions are not the only thing of importance. The consequences matter too." I noted a few books, still need to read "Her Right Foot" and will look for "The Book of Joy". Thanks!

    ReplyDelete