Monday, January 22, 2018

It's Monday! What are you reading?

 

It's Monday! What are you Reading? is a meme hosted by Kathryn at Book Date. It's a great way to recap what you read and/or reviewed the previous week and to plan out your reading and reviews for the upcoming week. It's also a great chance to see what others are reading right now...you just might discover your next “must-read” book!

Kellee Moye, of Unleashing Readers, and Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts decided to give It's Monday! What Are You Reading? a kidlit focus. If you read and review books in children's literature - picture books, chapter books, middle grade novels, young adult novels, anything in the world of kidlit - join us! We love this meme and think you will, too. We encourage everyone who participates to visit at least three of the other kidlit book bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.

If you want to know more about what I've been reading, visit my Goodreads shelf.

Past Week on the Blog:

Last Week in Books:
I had a fairly slow reading week only completing a few books. Once again my kdrama may be taking up a lot of my time. I found a bookish one called Chicago Typewriter and basically watched the whole series over this past week. The two YA novels I did get to were great though. Down and Across is an ARC I have from the publisher. I found this contemporary YA novel to be very fun with great characters and clever word play. I'll write up a more thorough review later. Wild Beauty was quite unique and wonderfully rich reading. It was much like a box of chocolates. The women of the story have to be careful with love. When they love too deeply, the men in their lives disappear. They have rather miraculous talents with flowers and the garden, but they also have an unusual connection with the land where they live. The story twists and turns and fascinated me.

The Discovery of Ramen caught my attention because I generally love picture books about food. It was okay. I was interested in the history, but the illustrations were somehow generic and a little busy for me. The narrative was a little flat, but if someone likes ramen, they may still enjoy the book.



The Coming Week: 
I'm reading Vincent and Theo right now and will be re-reading The First Rule of Punk for book club.


Reading Challenge Updates:
Goodreads Challenge 2018 - 17/800 
Diversity on the Shelf 2018 - 11/300

4 comments:

  1. Down & Across is a new title & will look for it. I still need to read Vincent and Theo and just read someone else who shared about The First Rule of Punk-all on the list. Thanks, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild Beauty sounds lovely. I'm also looking forward to finding The First Rule of Punk - so many great books, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vincent and Theo and The First Rule of Punk are both on my TBR lists! I've had students take out my copies, and I haven't gotten to them yet. Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The First Rule of Punk is a fabulous read. I think it was one of my favourite MG books from last year.
    I followed your link to read more about Down and Across and ended up reading Adam Silvera's 5 star review of it. Between the two of you, it's become a must read for me.

    ReplyDelete